Sep 1 – Introductions, Lecture: What is Critical Design?
- Discussions on Speculative Critical Design as a field
- Dunne and Raby’s projects- blog entry
- Critical Design FAQ’s (Read and discuss)
Sep 5 – Group Excercise on readings
- Whiteboard presentations
- blog entry of exercise outcomes
- Chapter 3 and 5 of Hertzian Tales by Anthony Dunne
- Design Noir
Sep-7 Lecture: Speculative Design+ Class Discussions on readings
- Dunne, Anthony and Raby, Fiona. 2013. Chaps 1, 2 and 3, Speculative Everything: design, fiction and social dreaming. MIT Press.
- Smell+ by James Auger, 2009
- Carnivorous Domestic Entertainment Robots by Auger+Louizieu, 2009
- The Continuous Monument by Superstudio, 1970
Sep-13 Design Fictions Discussion + Viewing
- Readings Discussions
- Viewing of Black Mirror Season 2 Episode 1
- Short Whiteboard Excercise ( 10 min Desing Fiction sprint)
- Sterling, Bruce. 2009. Design Fiction in Interactions 16 (3), pp. 20-24.
- Bleecker, Julian. 2009. Design fiction: A short essay on design, science, fact and fiction, Near Future Laboratory, Los Angeles, CA
Sep 15 – Experiential Futures + The Thing From the Future Card Game
Readings Candy, Stuart. 2010. Chap 4, The Futures of Everyday Life. Unpublished PhD thesis, pp 165 – 207
Sep 20 – Reading discussion
• Malpass, Matt. 2013. Between Wit and Reason: Defining Associative, Speculative, and Critical Design in Practice in Design Culture, Vol. 5, Issue 3, pp 333 – 356
Sep 22 – Discussions, FSLC exercise, group exercise from readings.
- “What SCD Is As Opposed To Could/Should Be”. 2016. Academia.Edu. Accessed September 26, 2016. https://www.academia.edu/21887979/What_SCD_Is_as_opposed_to_Could_Should_be
- Bardzell, Jeffrey and Shaowen Bardzell. 2013. “What Is “Critical” About Critical Design?”. Proceedings Of The SIGCHI Conference On Human Factors In Computing Systems – CHI ’13. Association for Computing Machinery (ACM). doi:10.1145/2470654.2466451.
- Tonkinwise, C. (2015) Just Design: Being Dogmatic about Defining Speculative Critical Design Future Fiction Medium. [Available Online at https://medium.com/@camerontw/just-design-b1f97cb3996f]
- 2016. Mitpressjournals.Org. Accessed September 26 2016. http://www.mitpressjournals.org/doi/pdf/10.1162/DESI_a_00322.
- Bardzell, Jeffrey, Shaowen Bardzell, and Erik Stolterman. 2014. “Reading Critical Designs”. Proceedings Of The 32Nd Annual ACM Conference On Human Factors In Computing Systems – CHI ’14. Association for Computing Machinery (ACM). doi:10.1145/2556288.2557137.
Sep 27 – Cameron Tonkenwise guest lecture
- Tonkinwise, Cameron. 2014. How We Intend to Future: Review of Anthony Dunne and Fiona Raby, Speculative Everything: Design, Fiction, and Social Dreaming, in Design Philosophy Papers, Vol. 12, No 2.
- “What SCD Is As Opposed To Could/Should Be”. 2016. Academia.Edu. Accessed September 26 2016. https://www.academia.edu/21887979/What_SCD_Is_as_opposed_to_Could_Should_be